Pineapple Mojito Recipe Say it with me, Mojitos are awesome! The original Mojito is a very tasty 5 ingredient Cuban cocktail consisting of rum, sugar, lime, soda water, and mint. It's a classic and...
- 3 cups carbonated water
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large Mandarin oranges, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Combine the sugar, orange juice, and lime juice in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then turn off and remove from heat.
- After the orange juice mixture has cooled, divide it among four glasses filled with ice.
- Top each glass with carbonated water as needed. Stir and serve.
Buying Mandarin Oranges
The best time to buy mandarin oranges is from mid-November through early February. This is the peak of the mandarin season, when the oranges are at their freshest, sweetest and most flavorful. You can find mandarin oranges at most grocery stores during this time, and they may be on sale. If you live in an area where mandarin oranges are grown locally, you may be able to find them at farmers' markets or roadside stands even earlier in the season. However, the quality of the oranges may not be as good as those that are shipped from warmer climates.
Choosing the Best Mandarin Oranges
- Look for oranges that are bright orange and have a smooth, unblemished skin.
- Avoid oranges that are soft or have bruises or blemishes.
- Choose oranges that are heavy for their size. This is a sign that they are juicy and ripe.
- The peel should be easily peeled.
Good to Know About Buying Mandarin Oranges
- The price of mandarin oranges can vary depending on the time of year, the variety, and the location.
- If you are buying mandarin oranges online, be sure to read the reviews to get an idea of the quality of the fruit.
- If you are buying mandarin oranges from a farmers market, be sure to ask the vendor about the growing practices used.
Oranges are a good source of several nutrients, including vitamin C, folate, potassium, and fiber. They have several health benefits making them a solid fruit choice.
Health Benefits of Oranges
- Boosting the immune system: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. It is also essential for the production of white blood cells, which help fight infection.
- Protecting the skin: Vitamin C is also important for collagen production, which gives the skin its strength and elasticity. It can also help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age spots.
- Improving iron absorption: The vitamin C in oranges helps the body absorb iron from other foods. This is important for preventing anemia, a condition that occurs when the body does not have enough red blood cells.
- Lowering blood pressure: Potassium is a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Oranges are a good source of potassium, which can help lower blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- Protecting against cancer: The antioxidants in oranges may help protect against cancer. Some studies have shown that eating oranges may be linked to a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as lung cancer and colon cancer.
- Eye health: The antioxidants in oranges may also help protect against age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of blindness in older adults.
- Heart health: The fiber in oranges can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Digestion: The fiber in oranges can help keep the digestive system healthy. It can also help prevent constipation.
Getting the most out of Oranges
- Eat the whole fruit, including the peel. The peel of oranges is a good source of fiber, antioxidants, and other nutrients.
- Choose organic oranges whenever possible. This will help to reduce your exposure to pesticides.
- Store oranges in the refrigerator for up to two to extend shelf life and prevent them from drying out.
- Squeeze orange juice for a refreshing drink. Orange juice is high in sugar, so it's best to drink it in moderation.
- Add orange zest to muffins, cakes, and other baked goods.
- Add them to salads, breakfast cereals, or yogurt.
- Make a smoothie with oranges, berries, and yogurt.
- Grill oranges for a unique and delicious side dish.