6 Ways to Get Your Kids to Eat Breakfast Some days, getting my children to eat breakfast seems like the toughest task that I tackle each day. It's tough sometimes. They try to get...
Breakfast Rice Casserole Recipe
Breakfast Rice Casserole
I wanted to share with you a breakfast rice casserole that we made recently for a brunch party. It features multi-grain rice, fresh veggies, ham, fresh thyme, cheese, and of course eggs. This was a recipe that started as a bit of an experiment; I woke up one morning wondering how I would make a breakfast rice casserole, and it turned out better than I could have ever hoped. Let's jump right in and get cooking! I hope you enjoy this Breakfast Rice Casserole Recipe!
BREAKFAST RICE CASSEROLE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup cubed ham1/3 cup bacon, raw and chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, quartered
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 2 bags Minute® Rice Multi-Grain Medley
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese blend (such as Cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
- 4 large eggs
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the ham and bacon. Cook until the bacon has released about half of its fat.
- Add all of the vegetables and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Transfer the meat and vegetable mixture to a colander and drain off any fat. Return the mixture to the pot.
- Add the vegetable stock, rice, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until all of the stock is absorbed.
- Add salt and pepper to the finished rice to taste. Transfer the rice mixture to an oven safe pan. Top with the cheese and bake at 400 until the cheese is melted, about 6 minutes.
- While the cheese is melting, cook the eggs as desired (we went with sunny side up). When the cheese is melted, remove the rice from the oven and top with the eggs
That's it! I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but once you get going it's really pretty easy to throw this breakfast rice casserole together. I truly hope you enjoy the recipe, and if you need further inspiration, check out our Sausage and Egg Breakfast Pizza. Until next time, happy cooking!