OREO IN THE MIDDLE SPIDER CUPCAKES yield 24 cupcakes INGREDIENTS CUPCAKES: 1 box Chocolate Cake Mix 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil 3 Eggs 24 Oreo Cookies INGREDIENTS ICING: 1 cup softened Butter 2 tbsp Milk...
Bacon and Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese
One of the concerns when you try to eat less processed foods is that things will be complicated to make or take longer. Today I have a “from scratch” recipe that replaces a common processed food, and doesn’t take any longer to make – stovetop macaroni and cheese.
You can whip up the cheese sauce for this dish while the pasta cooks, and in the same time you can make the stuff in the orange or blue box. And I promise it tastes better. Plus … bacon. Need I say more?
BACON AND SMOKED GOUDA MAC & CHEESE
- 1 lb. short-cut pasta (I used penne for the batch in the pictures.)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1⁄2 to 1 tsp. salt
- 8 ounces smoked gouda, shredded
1. Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While the pasta cooks, fry bacon in a skillet with deep sides. (If you don’t have one, you can always fry in a regular skillet and then make cheese sauce in a separate saucepan.)
3. When bacon is crispy, remove from pan and set aside to drain on paper towels.
4. Reduce heat in pan to medium low and add butter to the bacon grease in the pan.
5. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to form a roux.
6. Cook for about one minute.
7. Whisk in milk and add salt and pepper.
8. Raise heat to medium. Cook sauce, stirring occasionally until it starts to bubble and thicken. This should take 7 or 8 minutes.
9. Turn off heat to the pan and stir in the smoked gouda, mixing thoroughly.
10. Drain the pasta and return to the pot. Pour in the cheese sauce and stir.
11. Crumble bacon and stir into the pasta.