How to Enhance Your Home Office This Year If you're one of the millions of employees across the globe working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you're likely getting sick of the same...
Our One Night Without Lights
The first night was a little tough. My little one has to go to the bathroom a lot so after two trips she was finally down for the night.
It was strange not having lights. I woke up a few times because honestly I feel that there is always some sort of stimulation and I never truly sleep in the dark. Even the cable box provides light. We sleep in the kids playroom which has absolutely nothing lit up unless you turn a light on.
By strange I mean that I feel disoriented. I woke up in the complete darkness and had to think for a moment to figure out where I was at. This was not easy to someone who is used to a lot of comforts.
The second night we got to use this light:
This light is amazing. It charges itself with solar power and even charges cellphones. This light will be coming with us on any future camping trip. We all love it.
Here is our camp setup (and yikes I didn't realize how gross the carpeting looks – it is really really old):
The second night was much easier for the entire family. This light provided enough light that the bathroom which is about 30 feet away was pretty well lit with it as well. The light really works.
How much do you know about LED lighting?
KEY FACTS ABOUT LED LIGHTING
- LED lighting consumes 85% less energy than incandescent bulbs and can last up to 20 times longer.
- If one million people changed one bulb each into LED, this would in terms of CO2 emissions correspond to taking almost 6,700 cars off the road, or planting 17 million trees per year.
- The total annual cost saving (including purchase price and energy consumption cost) of switching one incandescent 40W bulb to a corresponding LED bulb, is approximately $6.25 (5.3 Euro) on average.
- LED bulbs use substantially less power than incandescents or CFLs. Replacing existing lighting with LEDs can save between 50% and 90% of lighting energy costs.
- LED replacements are already available for many bulb types and can fit virtually all of your existing lamps.
Did you also know about IKEA and the efforts they make towards sustainable lighting?
IKEA LEADS IN SUSTAINABLE LIGHTING
- IKEA continues to lead in sustainable business practices. In October 2012, IKEA US announced it would make a bold move to sell only LED lights in all its US stores by 2016.
- Already well on its way, the IKEA sale of only LED lights and lamps will and has enabled millions of people to live a more sustainable life at home, and save on their energy bills.
- IKEA also phased out all plastic bags in its stores in 2007 and incandescent bulbs in 2010.
- LED lights last up to 20 years and consumes up to 85% less energy than traditional bulbs, saving one money.
- LED lights provide an even warm white light. They light up immediately, are not hot, contain no mercury and can be recycled.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.