I really had one goal when I started this challenge. I wanted to look much better than my Before picture. I HATE my Before picture. In fact, I hate myself in most pictures. I...
This is Where I Leave You Book Club
I hope that you didn't miss my last post about This is Where I Leave You. I read the book in order to get ready for the film release happening on September 19th.
I hosted a book club where we all read the book and then got together at our local favorite hangout to discuss the book. Each of us took about 10 days to read the book. We wanted to meet to discuss the book and see how everything compared with each of us.
ABOUT THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU
The dramatic comedy “This is Where I Leave You” is directed by Shawn Levy, and based on the hilarious and poignant best-selling novel by Jonathan Tropper. When their father passes away, four grown siblings, bruised and banged up by their respective adult lives, are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens.
Confronting their history and the frayed states of their relationships among the people who know and love them best, they ultimately reconnect in hysterical and emotionally affecting ways amid the chaos, humor, heartache and redemption that only families can provide—driving us insane even as they remind us of our truest, and often best, selves.
OUR THOUGHTS ON THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU
As an avid book reader, once I start reading, I get a picture of the characters in my head. I get to know their personalities and their mannerisms. By watching the trailer first, I was able to picture all of these actors as characters which made the book much more interesting to me. It also made me very excited to see the movie when it comes out.
Our entire book club loved the book. We watched the trailer before beginning the book and that gave everyone a very unique perspective. We concluded that Jason Bateman will be perfect in this role. I can just see him with that internal dialogue that his character constantly going on.
My niece (pictured above) loved the character Wendy. She said that Wendy has no filter which makes her very funny. The other readers said:
“A perfectly dysfunctional is forced to spend a week together and the results are much more introspection that the family has had cumulatively. Very fun read.”
“The movie is going to really compliment this book!”
“This is not a feel good book rather a darkly humorous book about the inner workings of a family who leaves you feeling like your family is the greatest.”
GET SOCIAL WITH THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU
Visit the official website
Like This is Where I Leave You on Facebook
THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU BOOK CLUB DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. Discuss Judd Foxman, the novel’s protagonist, from his very ironic and dry sense of humor (shared also by his brothers and sister), to his anger and vulnerability regarding his wife’s infidelity, to his conflicted emotions regarding his immediate family. What was your first impression of the protagonist/narrator of this novel? What did you find the most engaging aspect of his character? Did you find any aspect of him off-putting?
2. What was your first impression of Judd’s wife, Jen? Because you see her almost entirely from Judd’s perspective, was there any chance to see her as a sympathetic character before Judd finds her so? Do you think that Judd and Jen have a chance at salvaging their relationship, with or without a baby girl to raise?
3. Discuss Judd’s mother and her relationship with each of her children. Do you think that Hillary Foxman was truly a bad mother? Was there any real irony in her being a child-rearing guru? What was your opinion of her character?
4. For all of their faults, is the Foxman clan a likeable group of people? What makes them an endearing group of people? Who did you like the most, and who did you find the least appealing, and why? Were there any characters you would have liked to see developed further?
5. What did you think of Judd’s exit at the end of the shiva? Was his disappearance in Phillip’s Porsche realistic? Appropriate? Did you find it a satisfying resolution to the book?
SEE THE THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU TRAILER
WIN A $25 VISA GIFT CARD AND A COPY OF THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU HERE!
One lucky reader of The Divine Miss Mommy will win a $25 VISA gift card and a copy of This is Where I Leave You.
a Rafflecopter giveaway