We are avid crafters in this family. I absolutely love doing crafts with the kids and my kids are always begging me to buy more supplies so we can create fun things. We make...
DIY Framed Chalkboard Step-by-Step Tutorial
Do you have an old painting or picture lying around that you love the frame, but hate the picture? You can also search for treasures at yard sales. We found the picture and frame above for $2. We have also had great luck with really nice frame on clearance at Target.
You can turn any of those frames into a chalkboard like this one! With just an old picture, chalkboard paint, and chalk, you can create a fun organizational center or decorative piece such as this one. Take a look below at how we turned an inexpensive garage sale find into something fresh and fancy.
Framed picture (you want one with a faux painting on it, no glass front)
Chalkboard paint (spray or brush on both will work)
Decorative paint (spray or brush on is great)
Table cloth to catch drips or spills
Look for framed prints such as the one you see here. You don’t want anything with a glass front, and the piece should be sturdy.
1. Begin by cleaning off the picture with a dry cloth.
2. Apply two coats of chalkboard paint to the inside of the picture. Take care to keep it off the frame and concentrate on just the interior picture portion.
3. Once the chalkboard paint is dry, protect it with newspaper secured with tape.
5. Once the frame paint is dry, remove the newspaper to expose the chalkboard.
6. Your chalkboard frame is now ready to be used. Hang it anywhere you can use a pop of color as well as function.
Keep your eyes peeled this summer for old framed pictures such as the one we used here. They may not look pretty at first, but in no time and with minimal supplies you can create something amazing just like this.