We are always traveling and I am always planning our next trip. As a family of five, it is not always easy to fit in a single hotel room anymore. This means we have...
Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage home in Nashville, Tennessee
Andrew Jackson's Hermitage home in Nashville Tennessee
The Hermitage, the home of late President Andrew Jackson and his wife, Rachel, is located on the outskirts of Nashville Tennessee. The mansion is surrounded by 1,120 acres, on which stand many historic buildings, including the original farmhouse and log kitchen used during the construction of the mansion. The grounds also include a church, slave and field quarters, gardens and the tomb of President Jackson and his wife, Rachel. Andrew Jackson's Hermitage home in Nashville Tennessee is definitely worth a trip.
The beginnings of Hermitage
Andrew Jackson purchased the 425-acre farm from Nathaniel Hays in 1804, following the sale of his plantation, Hunter’s Hill. He quickly invested in the local economy, creating businesses in Clover Bottom. This allowed Jackson to add acreage to the farm, bringing the total acreage up to 1,050 acres. Construction began on Andrew Jackson's Hermitage mansion in 1819. Designed in the Federal style popular in the South, the mansion was made of brick. Boasting eight rooms, the mansion also included a summer kitchen located in the basement.
Hermitage over the years
In 1831, during Jackson’s first term as President, the mansion was remodeled. Two single-story wings were added, providing room for Jackson’s library and office and a large formal dining room and adjoining pantry. The mansion gained a more Classical appearance during this renovation with the addition of a front portico, supported by 10 columns.
Late in the year of 1834, the Hermitage mansion suffered heavy damage due to a fire. This enabled yet another style change and saw the mansion outfitted in the Greek-Revival style. The cantilevered, elliptical staircase was also added after the fire. The reconstruction of the mansion was not completed until 1837. Jackson remained at the estate following his presidency.
Hermitage handed down through generations
Andrew Jackson's Hermitage was passed down to his adopted son, Andrew Jackson Jr., following President Jackson’s death in 1845. However, Andrew Jackson Jr. began selling off pieces of land from the estate to settle debts incurred from failed business ventures. The State of Tennessee purchased the last 500 acres owned by the Jacksons in 1856. This acreage included the mansions, gardens, outbuildings and the tomb of Andrew Jackson and his wife, Rachel. Originally thought to become the housing for a branch of the United States Military Academy, these plans were never realized. A third generation of the Jackson family remained on the farm as caretakers for the State of Tennessee, until 1893, in which the property was deeded to the Ladies’ Hermitage Association.
The association restored the mansion to look like it had in 1837, and opened the mansion up for public viewing as a museum. The acreage that belonged to the farm in President Jackson’s lifetime was purchased or gifted to the association and now includes an additional 70 acres near Nashville Tennessee. The farm was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1960, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. The Ladies’ Hermitage Association was renamed the Andrew Jackson Foundation in 2014 and continues to own and operate the mansion and grounds today. Visit Andrew Jackson's Hermitage home in Nashville, Tennessee today.
We were hosted on the Adventures by Disney Nashville Long Weekend trip. This is one post in a series of posts. For further details and more information on specific places we visited, please see: