Freshen Up Your Bar Accessories for Your Next Party “Célébrer La Vie” Party Tub “Celebrate life” and throw a party! It's easy with the help of this brass party tub, inscribed with the words...
February is National Canned Food Month
Canned food is something that has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. I absolutely loved canned vegetables and in fact, so does my entire family.
For my son's 5th birthday, his chosen dinner was cold corn in a bowl. He wanted it right from a can and wouldn't have it any other way.
Did you know that Americans throw away approximately 15 percent to 20 percent of the fresh fruits and vegetables they purchase every year?
Cans help waste less food, saving us time and money, and reducing our impact on the environment. Canned food portion sizes are just right for both individuals and families, and most recipes are designed around these sizes.
We frequently used canned foods for cooking for so many reasons. I love being able to have many different types of beans and vegetables on hand at all times.
ABOUT CANS GET YOU COOKING
Cans Get You Cooking is a program dedicated to spreading the message that the ironclad technology of cans seals in foodsʼ nutrition, freshness and flavor, naturally, so that you can create meals you feel good about serving, and that your family will love.
1) Spread the word about National Canned Food month
2) Promote our upcoming Cooking Channel TV special, “Cans Make the
Meal with Kelsey Nixon,” which will air throughout February
FACTS ABOUT CANNED FOOD
- Cans seal in nutrition, freshness and flavor, naturally.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are harvested at their peak of ripeness and canned within hours, making the can one of the best ways to lock in nutrients and get food from its source to your family table
- Canned foods can be a hallmark of a healthy diet.
- Canned produce is on par nutritionally with fresh and frozen varieties, and in some cases even better
- People who frequently eat canned foods may have healthier diets than people who donʼt
- Canned foods make homemade easy!
- Canned foods mean less prep and year-round availability, making healthy, homemade meals a reality, more often.
CHECK OUT THE COOKING CHANNEL SPECIAL CANS MAKE THE MEAL WITH KELSEY NIXON
Watch the Cans Make the Meal with Kelsey Nixon 30-Minute TV Special. Cans Get You Cooking produced a 30-minute special that will air on Cooking Channel during the month of February, National Canned Food Month. The special features Cooking Channel star Kelsey Nixon as she takes viewers down the canned food aisle and into her kitchen, sharing fun canned food facts, and creating delicious recipes inspired by the canned foods in her Cantry. Here is a list of airdates to share with your readers:
• February 08, 2015 10:00 AM EST
• February 14, 2015 10:00 AM EST
• February 15, 2015 10:00 AM EST
• February 22, 2015 10:00 AM EST
• February 28, 2015 10:00AM EST
Kelsey Nixon is the host of the Emmy-nominated show Kelsey's Essentials on Cooking Channel and Food Network, and author of the cookbook, Kitchen Confidence. She's also the host of “Cans Make the Meal,” our 30-minute Cooking Channel special that airs throughout February.
ENTER THE CANTRY COOK-OFF CONTEST
In honor of National Canned Food Month, Kelsey Nixon will be judging Cans Get You Cookingʼs Cantry Cook-Off Recipe Contest! Entrants must create a unique recipe using at least two canned food items and submit the recipe, along with a photo of their dish for a chance to win $5,000! Entrants have until March 31, 2015 to enter! Hereʼs where everyone (and you!) can enter: CookingChannelTV.com/cans
CHECKOUT CANTRY THURSDAYS
Cantry Thursdays underscores the importance of oneʼs Cantry and the role it can and should play on Thursdays – and every day of the week – to help get a nutritious, homemade meal on the table that you can feel great serving.
By the time Thursdays roll around, most of your groceries have been used or have spoiled, and people youʼre tired from the long week and donʼt want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The solution is not the takeout menu drawer…itʼs your Cantry. Nutritious, fresh and flavorful meals are achievable quickly and easily thanks to the canned foods in your pantry.
One last thought…Metal cans are endlessly recyclable and, in fact, are the most recycled containers in America today, keeping metal out of landfills and saving significant energy. You can check out this blog to see lots of crafts that we have made with cans.