Mediterranean Inspired Saffron Rice Recipe With the changing seasons, we are wanting more and more fresh vegetables in our meals. We head to the farmers market a few times per week to see...
Christmas Sugar Cookie Ornaments
Before I share the tutorial for decorating these beautiful Christmas Sugar Cookie Ornaments, I want to share a sugar cookie recipe I love. I've tried many cookie recipes and this is my favorite for rolling out and cutting into shapes to decorate.
CHRISTMAS SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
- 1 cup softened, unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp pure vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- In the bowl of stand mixer combine butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon extract mixing until creamed together.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add these ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, flatten each into a 2” thick disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface or parchment paper, using a silicone rolling pin, roll dough out to approximately ¼” thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place them on ungreased cookie sheets, leaving 1-2 inches between.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Now for the step by step tutorial for decorating these ornament cookies!
DECORATING YOUR ORNAMENT COOKIES
INGREDIENTS AND SUPPLIES
- 1 batch of sugar cookie dough, cut into ornament shapes and baked
- 1 batch of royal icing
- red gel food coloring
- small bowl
- tooth picks
- 2 piping bags fitted with #2 tip
- clear sugar crystals
1. Begin by dividing the royal icing and coloring 2/3 of the icing red with the gel food coloring.
2. Next, fill a piping bag with red royal icing and another with white.
3. Carefully pipe the details for the white part of the ornament as shown. Add the outline to all the cookies before moving to the next step.
4. In a small bowl, mix 1 cup of white royal icing with water to create the “flooding” icing. Using a small spoon, “flood” each cookie with white icing, keeping it within the white outlines you created.
5. Flood only a few cookies to a time, sprinkling the wet royal icing with the clear sugar crystal. If the crystals are added while the icing is wet, they will be held in place as the icing dries.
6. Next pipe a red outline around the center portion of the cookie.
7. After you've outlined all of the cookies with the red, mix 1 cup of red royal icing with water to create the red flooding icing. Using a small spoon, “flood” each cookie with red icing, keeping it within the red outlines you created.
8. As you flood the cookie with the red icing, use the piping bag to add a little red detail to the white ornament top as shown above.
9. Once the red icing has mostly dried, use your piping bag to add white details to across the red part of the ornament.
10. Let the cookies dry completely before serving. The cookies are so beautiful they will make wonderful gifts for those special to you!