– I know that you have seen many times talk of Outback Steakhouse on this blog. I am very excited to share the news about the new menu at Outback featuring CRAB! This summer,...
Top Chef Richard Blais’ EARTH & TURF BURGER Recipe
The Mushroom Council recently invited me for fun dining opportunity with Top Chef Richard Blais. Blais created a mushroom/meat blend burger for his Flip Burger Boutique called the “Earth & Turf Burger.”
I had the chance to speak with Richard Blais recently and we talked about grilling out, of all things. 🙂 He shared some great tips and techniques for building and grilling a good burger this season. Here is some of what he had to say:
1. Perfect the patty.
Richard and I talked about how growing up, my family would make these thick, huge burgers that took forever to cook. They burned on the outside and were still red on the inside. Not good. Richard said that the perfect patty was about an inch
2. Switch Up the Seasoning.
Don't be afraid to experiment with some of your favorite herbs and seasonings. We used fresh rosemary and mixed it into the burger. It was delicious and gave the burger a completely different taste.
3. Create New Condiments
Richard said, “Take typical toppers like ketchup or barbecue sauce and stir in unexpected pairings like soy or hot sauces.” We made Rosemary Ketchup and stone ground mustard this week to top our burgers.
4. Bring on the Bun.
Be adventurous with buns and bread. We have used different items like pretzel buns and Kings Hawaiian Buns. My husband loves a good burger on an English muffin.
A blend of mushrooms and meat make up the patty of this Earth & Turf Burger courtesy of Chef Richard Blais.
EARTH & TURF BURGER RECIPE
Yield: 8 burgers plus an extra taste!
Burger Blend – Mushrooms
12 ounces portabella mushrooms
9 ounces shiitake mushroom caps
9 ounces button mushrooms
Burger Blend – Meat*
12 ounces beef chuck
9 ounces beef short rib
9 ounces beef brisket
*You may also use a freshly ground, 20% fat store bought blend.
1. In a pan with high-quality butter, roast the mushroom blend until golden. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
2. Place on a paper towel and cool.
3. In a grinder, grind the roasted mushrooms.
4. Use paper towel to blot out any remaining moisture.
5. Gently fold the cooked mushroom grind and beef grind together.
6. Form into ¾ inch thick patties.
1 tsp Worcestershire powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp Porcini mushroom powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Season burger with the spice blend and salt and pepper on both sides.
2. Cook in a pan or on a hot grill for 3-4 minutes per side.
3. If cooking in a pan, toss in a pat of butter and sprigs of rosemary and thyme. Baste the burger as it cooks.
Brioche or burger bun
Mushroom Ketchup (recipe below)
Mushroom Mayo (recipe below)
Sliced Gruyere cheese
Bread & butter pickles
1. Toast a brioche or burger bun in butter or olive oil.
2. Spread the Mushroom Ketchup and Mushroom Mayo on the bottom bun.
3. Next add caramelized onions followed by burger patty topped with melting Gruyere cheese.
4. Finish with bread & butter pickles and top bun.
1 tsp curry powder
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
2 cups shiitake mushroom stems
2 cups water
3 tbsp ketchup
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp orange juice
1. In a pot, boil the curry powder, soy sauce, shiitake stems and water until it reduces to approximately ½ cup of liquid.
2. Strain and add the ketchup, hoisin sauce and orange juice.
3. Stir until combined and smooth.
1 quart button mushrooms
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt & white pepper to taste
½ tsp white truffle oil
1. Simmer the button mushrooms in the cream for 15 minutes.
2. Puree the mixture in a blender until completely smooth.
3. Add the mayonnaise and seasonings and combine thoroughly.
ABOUT THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL
The Mushroom Council is composed of fresh market producers or importers who average more than 500,000 pounds of mushrooms produced or imported annually. The mushroom program is authorized by the Mushroom Promotion, Research and Consumer Information Act of 1990 and is administered by the
GET SOCIAL WITH THE MUSHROOM COUNCIL
Like the Mushroom Channel on Facebook
Tweet with the Mushroom Council on Twitter
See what the Mushroom Channel is Pinning on Pinterest
Find more recipes and learn all about the Mushroom Council on their website.
We were provided a gift certificate to try the Earth & Turf Burger at Flip in Atlanta.