The P&G insert will have lots of great coupons including the following: CoverGirl Free Natureluxe Lip Balm to $5 wyb one Covergirl NatureLuxe Foundation (3/31/11) Febreze Flameless Luminary Starter Kit or Device buy one...
Shop for the Holidays at Beall’s Outlet
Shop for the Holidays at Beall’s Outlet
As an avid shopper, I can honestly tell you that I am always looking for value. The philosophy behind this site is that we are living the good life. One of the ways that I do that is by minimizing what I spend every single day so that when I want or need to make large purchases, I can do it. This year we are thrilled to be partnering with Beall’s Outlet to show you how to shop for the holidays without breaking the bank.
For me, the holidays are all about tradition. Every Thanksgiving we rent a cabin in the North Georgia mountains close to the town of Blue Ridge or Morganton, Georgia. This is a tradition that we have been taking part in for at least 10 years. We get a 4-to-6-bedroom cabin (usually on the lake), we all take turns cooking and just spend time together as a family. My dad and stepmother are there along with my sister and her three kids.
This multi-generational trip creates such great memories for my kids as well as for us adults. I look forward to these four nights each year. This year, Beall’s has made it so much easier to cook and to create a beautiful holiday tablescape. We had such a fun time shopping at Beall’s and I am so excited to share some of my favorite finds.
Baking and Roasting with Beall’s
I absolutely love the kitchen section at Beall’s because we were able to find everything that we needed right away. They have great pans for cooking, baking sheets, roasting pans and so much more.
We stocked up on various sizes of cast iron skillets and if I had found a few more of that small size, I would have purchased them. I purchased a few cooling racks for all the goodies that we bake each season and my baking daughter has already said how much she loved them.
The white basket must be one of my favorite finds so far. It was $12.99 and it is made from white ceramic but looks like basket weave. It keeps your bread hot or your fruit cold depending on what you put in it.
Holiday Décor from Beall’s
Just look at the adorable décor I found at Beall’s for such a good deal. That turkey will look amazing on my dinner table and then the plates that I used as charger plates match the turkey perfectly. I found other décor to sit on the table, like the large acorns and the vase fillers, all in great fall colors.
My favorite holiday item has to be what I used for place cards. I love those pieces of wood which I believe are supposed to be ornaments or tags for gifts. We wrote names on them and put one at each place. Guests can take them home and hang them on their Christmas tree.
Rustic Southern Skillet Cornbread Recipe
This cornbread is delicious and I guarantee that it will delight your family on Thanksgiving or any holiday. It is pretty easy to make and looks fabulous displayed on the table right in the cast iron skillet.
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
- 2 cups stone-ground self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fresh corn, cut from the cobb
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups whole buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp Crisco or lard
- ½ stick butter, softened
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the cast iron skillet into the oven and allow it to come to temperature.
- While the skillet is heating, mix together the cornmeal, kosher salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Add the fresh corn and toss to coat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
- Slowly add the wet mixture (eggs and buttermilk) to the cornmeal and corn mixture while mixing.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven (be careful!). Add the lard to the pan and coat the inner surface. Pour in the prepared batter and pop the skillet in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes. The cornbread is done when the center firms and the top of the bread becomes golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cornbread to rest for 10 minutes.
- Brush the top of the cornbread with the softened butter and the coarse salt.
- Serve right from the pan.
All that is left to do is eat, enjoy, and have great conversation. Happy Holidays!
Beall's Outlet gave me money to shop at their store and make this post, but all thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in this article are my own.