Best Selling Blu-ray Movies Fifty Shades of Grey (Unrated Blu-ray + DVD + DIGITAL HD + UltraViolet) – $19.72 The worldwide phenomenon comes to life in Fifty Shades of Grey, starring Dakota Johnson and...
Philips AVENT’s Top 10 Tips for Caring for Babies with Colic … and Their Parents
Philips AVENT sponsored a conversation on TheMotherhood.com and among mom bloggers and their readers to gather advice and support on caring for babies with colic – and their parents too! Dr. Jen Trachtenberg, mom, pediatrician and author, joined the conversation live on November 2nd to share her knowledge and insights as well. From all that was shared on TheMotherhood.com between Dr. Jen and the mom bloggers, here are the Top 10 Tips:
Making Baby Feel Better
1. If you are breastfeeding, think about your diet. Certain foods you eat, such as citrus fruit, onions, cauliflower, spicy foods, caffeine and beans, may contribute to your baby’s fussiness.
2. Style of feeding can make a difference too. “Active” feeding, where your baby controls milk flow (through breastfeeding or using a bottle that mimics it – such as the Philips AVENT natural feeding bottle) can help reduce colic symptoms.
3. Keep your baby moving – use a baby sling or swinger seat, rock the cradle, or move his or her arms and legs in “bicycle” motions.
4. Focus on soothing rituals. White noise can help, as it’s a reminder of the noises heard from inside the womb. Also consider trying a pacifier, giving warm baths, gently massaging your baby’s tummy, or swaddling.
5. At naptime or bedtime, side and stomach positions are generally more comfortable for babies suffering from colic than lying on his or her back.
Making Mommy (and Daddy) Feel Better
6. Getting time away from home is vital. Having a baby with colic also can be hard on a couple, so getting time together without the baby can really help.
7. Find an outlet for discussing what you’re going through. Sometimes talking it out with a mom support group or another mom who has “been there” can make a world of difference. Philips AVENT hosts a community on Facebook where you can connect with other moms.
8. Take a few minutes each day and do something that makes you feel good – for example, a hot shower and a home facial. It will help you feel fresh even when you are exhausted.
9. If you’ve tried several different tactics, and nothing seems to be soothing your baby, schedule some time with your pediatrician. It always helps to get an expert opinion, and nothing is more valuable than peace of mind!
10. Remember, you are not alone, and your baby’s colic is not your fault. Twenty-five percent of babies suffer from colic, and there are no indications that it is hereditary, or caused by anything you did while pregnant. The good news is, colic typically disappears when baby is around 3 months of age – so it won’t last forever!
For more than 25 years, Philips AVENT, the number one bottle brand in the world, has been a trusted partner from pregnancy through toddlerhood, giving parents the confidence to choose the products that support their baby’s developing needs. Learn more at http://www.philips.us/avent or visit Philips AVENT’s newFacebook page for more tips and advice.