Parent Tested and Parent Approved at Aldi There are items at Aldi that have recently received the Parent Tested and Parent Approved Seal. This means that other parents have tried these products and gave...
Day of the Dead (Dia de Los Muertos) Sugar Skull Cookies Recipe
- 5 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C soft unsalted butter
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- Skull Cookie Cutter
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add all 4 eggs at one time…Continue to mix. -Add the vanilla.. Continue mixing.
- Sift the four, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on the wood cutting board, rub flour on the rolling pin, and work some flour into the batter. (if needed)
- Roll the dough out on the cutting board and using the skull cookie cutter begin to make your cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut skull cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the skull cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely. (About 10 minutes).
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Divide the icing into the number of bowls that will hold each color that you will need for the cookies as displayed in the picture of cookies or on google.
- Spoon each color of icing into individual frosting bags with a #5 tips. Twist the open end of the bag to push the icing to the tip.
- Locate a picture of the Day of the Dead cookies on Google and print it out. Using the picture as an example draw the outline on the center of the cookie using a Food Writer.
- Outline each of the skull cookies in white then fill the cookies in with a watered down icing. Squeeze the majority of the icing into a bowl then add 1 tsp of water to this and mix it in.
- Leave a small amount of the icing in the frosting bag for later use on the cookies.
- Use bright colors and be creative with the designs, or locate a picture of the Day of the Dead skulls on Google and print it out. Using the picture as an example draw the outline on the center of the cookie using a Food Writer or free hand the design. Outline the design first in your choice of color then fill the design in with the same color.