I have saved this Valentine's Day card / heart that my daughter Annabella made in preschool for several years. It was the best Valentine's Day present. EVER. I laughed so hard that I cried...
7 Tips for Getting Kids to Eat Healthy Food
As a parent, getting my kids to eat healthy food is something that I struggle with on a daily basis.
I am pretty lucky for the most part in that my kids LOVE fruits. They LOVE vegetables. And although they love soda, they know that it is not the best choice for them so they choose milk or water to drink about 99% of the time.
Like I said, I am lucky.
But here is the thing, how do we ever know when enough is enough when it comes to eating healthy? I mean I never think that my kids can eat healthy enough. They can never get too many fruits or veggies into those little growing bodies, right?
Here are a few of my tips for getting my kids to eat healthy food:
1. Let them plan. We come up with our grocery lists together after we plan our meals together. They take a huge part in the process and are very invested.
2. Let them shop. My kids come with me to the grocery store. They help me plan and cook the meals so they help me shop as well. We make it fun and each kid has a list of their own of things they have to find. Once we started doing it this way, I found that my kids really stick to their lists and hardly ever try to add/ask for impulse purchases like cookes or chips.
3. Let them cook. I find that when they cook with me, they are much more likely to eat what they make. If we cook healthy, they eat healthy.
4. Give them the tools they need to make the right decisions. They know what they should eat. We put the food pyramid up in our house. They have the tools. I have the trust that they will make good decisions.
5. Don't deny. My kids like soda every once in a while. They like ice cream. If they want to have these things as treats every once in a while, I am fine with it.
6. Come up with creative ideas. I freeze cups of yogurt with popsicle sticks and grapes for desserts in our house. I scour the Internet for recipes incorporating the most amount of fruits and veggies possible. Get creative and see what happens.
7. Praise. Praise. Praise. Every single time my kids make a good decision, I tell them how proud I am of them. I recognize that they could have chosen something else.
Share how you get your kids to eat healthy food below for a chance to win a $500 Mom’s Getaway Spa Day from BlogFrog!
Want to exchange more healthy snacks ideas, money saving tips and back to school shopping advice with other moms? Visit the Horizon® Healthy Families Back to School Community!
Consider checking out the Horizon Back to School Community
Follow Horizon on Twitter
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon. The opinions expressed by me do not necessarily reflect the view of the Horizon Organic brand.