Every day I help my daugter pick out an outfit for school. She loves clothing and loves to style herself everyday with accessories. A lot of times, we pick out her outfit the night...
Green Initiatives Cox Enterprises & 5 Tips for Greener Living
Image courtesy of Tree Trust
Cox Communications and Cox Conserves hosted a luncheon last week with some local bloggers to let us know about the initiatives that they take as a company. I was pretty impressed to see such a big company taking such huge steps.
Launched in 2007, Cox Conserves is the company’s national sustainability program that is designed to reduce Cox Enterprises’ carbon footprint by 20 percent. Cox Conserves seeks to reduce Cox Enterprises’ energy consumption by embracing alternative energy, conserving natural resources and inspiring eco-friendly behavior. The program engages each of the company’s major subsidiaries (Cox Communications, Manheim, Cox Media Group and AutoTrader.com) and encourages Cox Enterprises’ more than 50,000 employees and their families to engage in eco-friendly practices.
THE TWEETS WERE FLYING
Here are just a few of the facts shared during the luncheon that many of the attendees (including me) Tweeted about:
- Cox saves 17,400 TONS of carbon each year through alternative energy (utilizing fuel cells, solar panels, etc.)
- Cox’s H20 projects save 20 MILLION gallons of water, i.e. 30 olympic swimming pools
- Cox’s electronics waste events collected 250 tons of recyclable e-waste
- Cox utilizes an eco-friendly fleet by employing 300+ hybrids and GPS routing (saving over 1 million gallons of fuel)
- 90% of the @Cox_Comm bucket trucks are 0% emission when bucket is in use
- 4.5 tons of waste removed from rivers through @AmericanRivers & @CoxEnterprises partnership
1. Turn off the lights. Do it as you leave every room. One of the chores that my children do is light duty. Before we go anywhere, one child runs through the house turning off everything possible. We always find something.2. Turn off the water. When you brush your teeth or wash your hands or even wash dishes, a lot of water is wasted. Be stingy about your water use.3. Make adjustments. We adjusted the temperature on our hot water heater to save energy. We keep the thermostat a little lower in the Winter and a little higher in the Summer. Make adjustments where you can.4. Reuse what you can. We reuse plastic bags for everything (future grocery store trips, crafts, garbage can liners). I can find another use for almost any container. Make it fun by seeing what you can reuse and for what.5. Get the entire family involved. Once we made greener living an entire family affair in my house, we did much better overall. We all work together.
GET SOCIAL WITH COX
Follow Cox Communications on:
This is a sponsored post by Cox. All opinions are my own.