It is no secret that if you read this blog, you know that I am a huge fan of P&G. We reguarly use many of their products in our everyday lives. Many of the...
Walmart is Empowering Women
As part of their corporate commitment to “empower women worldwide to build better lives for themselves and their families,” Walmart has announced they are launching a website for consumers to buy products from around the world. Empowering Women Together, will give shoppers interesting and unique products from around the world. Buying from this site gives buyers the opportunity to support small women-owned businesses.
This is a really cool concept from Walmart. I tend to feel like the bigger you get as a company, the more you have a responsibility to give back. If a company truly wants to become enmeshed in a community, then they need to do just that through philanthropic ways.
What is exciting about this initiative is that now, Walmart is acknowledging the world as its community. And that is a good thing.
I am as patriotic as they come but I also believe that we should help those in need, no matter where they live. Any time I see a company doing good things like this, I make it my mission to try to shop with them. I may not always buy something but I will at least look around.
I love to see women empowered. I have a special love affair of handmade things. I so admire craftiness because I feel as if I possess so little of it.
- “With each purchase, consumers lift and empower the women behind these products to create new jobs and improve both their own lives and the lives of their families and communities.”
I have one suggestion to Walmart about this program. I think that some of the items are too cheap. I think that they could easily add a few more dollars to the prices of many items and I would happily pay it, still feeling as if I got my money's worth. I will fork over more cash when I feel like I know exactly where it's going.
At launch, Empowering Women Together will offer:
* more than 200 items from 19 businesses in nine countries
* products including jewelry from Peru, Rwanda, Kenya and the U.S..
* home accessories from Rwanda and Haiti.
* paper mache from Haiti
* apparel and accessories from Rwanda.
* iPad and laptop cases from Cambodia and Nepal.
* coffee and tea sets sourced globally and made in America
* specialty foods made in Amrica and Canada.
- Empowering Women Together is an element of Walmart’s Global Women’s Economic 5-year commitment through 2016 to source $20 billion from women-owned businesses.
See what people are Pinning on Walmart’s Pinterest Board
Tweet with Walmart on Twitter
CHECK OUT THE VIDEO FROM WALMART ON EMPOWERING WOMEN TOGETHER
I am part of the Mom It Forward blogger network. Mom It Forward and Walmart partnered in support of this campaign. Walmart will be compensating me for participation in this campaign.However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.