This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Orchard Valley Harvest #OVHsnacks. The opinions and text are all mine. Orchard Valley Harvest Antioxidant and Omega-3 Wellness Mixes in Multi Pack Sizes...
Vanilla Valentine Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
Strawberries and cupcakes just go together, don’t they? I have always loved a good strawberry cupcake, and while I like the taste of the strawberry flavored cake mixes and frostings available at the store, I have been searching for something a little fresher tasting. And I think I have found it – a buttercream made with fresh (or frozen) strawberries that give great strawberry flavor. The strawberry buttercream also makes these cupcakes the perfect shade of pinky red for Valentine’s Day.
I use the frosting atop a vanilla cupcake made with my favorite recipe that starts with a boxed cake mix. The result is a tender vanilla cupcake that goes together in a flash. There’s nothing complicated about this recipe, but with fresh flavors and a gorgeous color, your valentine doesn’t have to know that. Let him think you worked on these Vanilla Valentine Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream for hours and hours.
You’ll get at least 30 cupcakes out of this recipe because you add to the cake mix. That also makes it the perfect sized batch for a classroom party.
VANILLA VALENTINE CUPCAKES
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers and preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2. Combine all the ingredients (that’s right – you can dump them all in at once) in a large mixing bowl.
3. Combine ingredients with electric mixer on low for 30 seconds.
4. Raise mixer speed to medium and beat approximately 2 minutes, until batter is well combined.
5. Fill cupcake papers a little more than ½ full.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until tops of cupcakes spring back when touched.
7. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 lbs. (about 7 cups) powdered sugar
- 10-15 strawberries, fresh, or frozen and thawed (I actually prefer frozen unless it is strawberry season in your area. Those strawberries trucked long distances don’t have great flavor.)
- Pinch salt
1. In a mixing bowl, whip butter with an electric mixer until color lightens and butter is fluffy – about 2-4 minutes.
2. Add powdered sugar in thirds, beating well after each addition.
3. Add salt.
4. With mixer running, drop berries in one by one. Stop to check consistency after you have added 8-10. Keep adding them, but stop if frosting starts getting too thin.
5. Whip frosting on high for an additional 3-5 minutes until fluffy and light.
Though not absolutely necessary for a day or two, I highly recommend storing these frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator and allowing to come to room temperature before serving. The frosted, well wrapped cupcakes, also freeze beautifully.