We love pancakes in this house. In fact, when my daughter first learned to walk, we would often find her rooting around in the freezer, eating frozen pancakes. She didn't get more than one...
Spiked Oktoberfest Donuts Recipe
SPIKED OKTOBERFEST DONUTS
INGREDIENTS FOR DONUTS
- 1 cup Oktoberfest beer of choice
- 3 and ½ cups of whole wheat pastry flour (can sub with all-purpose flour if needed)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk (milk + 1 tsp vinegar)
INGREDIENTS FOR GLAZE
- 2 tbsp Oktoberfest beer
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- In a small saucepan, simmer oktoberfest beer for about 20-30 minutes. It will be ¼ cup after.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice mix, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add 1 egg in at a time until thoroughly mixed. Add in the buttermilk.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- After the dough has been thoroughly mixed lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. The dough will be very sticky – that is normal.
- Sprinkle flour onto the parchment paper – flour is your friend here, the more you use the least the dough will stick to the paper.
- With your floured hands, stretch the dough the length of your baking pan. It should be about ½ an inch thick.
- Put the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes until it is a little bit hard.
- Remove from freezer and cut 3 inch circles for the donuts (I used a wine glass, but use what you have on hand). Cut 1 inch circles inside of the donuts. Use a small circle cap or an apple corer.
- Remove the extra scrap dough and roll into a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the donuts are in the refrigerator, head about 3 inches of oil in a large pot. When the oil is 360 degrees it is ready. You can use a candy thermometer.
- Drop donuts in the frying oil. Remember to not overcrowd them. Fry until golden brown. Flip and fry the other side.
- Remove donuts and allow to cool on a paper towel for about 1 minute.
- Dip the warm donuts in the glaze.
- Garnish with pumpkin pie spice mix (optional)