This National Diabetes Month Get to Know Fifty50 Foods blog post is part of a paid Megan Media and Fifty50 Foods blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own. National Diabetes...
Owl Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
PERFECT OWL SUGAR COOKIES
- 1 cup softened, unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- In the bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and lemon
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to butter mixture until completely mixed.
- Form dough into 2 balls, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a 2” thick disc.
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees
- On a lightly floured surface, using a silicone rolling pin, roll dough out to approximately ¼” thickness. Cut into desired shapes and evenly space on ungreased cookie sheets, leaving 1-2 inches between.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes in preheated oven. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes then transfer to wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- 3 Tbs Meringue Powder
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 5 Tbs warm water +/- (plus additional water for thinning)
- Combine all ingredients in bowl of stand mixer, beat on low speed for 7-10 minutes or until icing begins to form stiff peaks.
- Divide your icing into appropriate portions to color for your project.
- Add a small amount of gel food coloring to create each color, stirring until coloring is completely blended.
- To create icing for flooding, place a small amount of colored icing into a bowl and begin adding water ½ tsp to a time until you reach the proper consistency.
- You want the icing to be thin enough to spread easily but not too watery. A good test is to drizzle a small amount off the end of your spoon and watch how long it takes for the drizzled icing to blend back into the bowl of icing. It should blend back in within approximately 10 seconds.