Blueberry Pancake Bites Recipe There’s nothing more delicious on a Summer morning that a big batch of homemade Blueberry Pancake Bites Recipe. Seriously they are beyond indulgent but so easy to make you don’t...
Lemon Poppyseed Scones
LEMON POPPYSEED SCONES
Yield: 8 Scones
One of the major pitfalls of most scone recipes is a final product that is too dry and “tough.” This recipe includes plenty of liquids to keep the scones moist, however the “toughness” is often a result of over-handling the dough.
When handling the dough, it is important not to overwork the ingredients. Combine the ingredients just to combine them. Do not stress over creating a dough that is smooth and uniform, scone dough should be “just barely together.” The less you fuss with the dough, the better.
Finally, an egg wash is necessary for scones with a slight shine. As the scones bake, this light wash helps to develop golden brown color across the top. Adding a small amount of oil to the wash will leave a light, attractive shine on top.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
3 lemons, zested
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, small dice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup heavy cream
FOR THE EGG WASH:
1/8 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon oil
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter using a fork until it is well-distributed throughout the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice, heavy cream, and eggs. Mix to combine, the pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients just to combine them. Do not overwork the dough.
- Split the dough into two equal parts. Shape each half into a loose ball, then gently press down on each to form two, flattened, thick circles. Cut each circle into quarters.
- Combine the egg wash ingredients and whisk vigorously to combine. Lightly brush over each circle of scone dough.
- Top with fresh lemon curd.