My mother lives with us. Most of the time. Well 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time she drives back home to North Carolina where she maintains a house that she...
Girl Scout Healthy Habits Journey Program
I am Girl Scout for two troops. Both daughters started as a Daisy Scout. Now my older daughter is a Junior Scout and my younger daughter is a Brownie. To say that they love Scouts and Scouting is an understatement.
My girls count the days down until their next Scout meeting. They plan ahead for things that their troops can do and they really, truly live the Girl Scout law. This makes me proud as I was a Girl Scout myself through 8th grade.
I love what my daughters get out of Girl Scouts and frankly, I get a lot out of it as well. I love the life lessons that Girl Scouts teaches my daughters.
HEALTHY HABITS JOURNEY PROGRAM & BOOKLETS
In partnership with the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation, Girl Scouts developed three “healthy habits” booklets for volunteers to use in conjunction with their Journey Adult Guides. The free booklets help guide girls on their Journey as they learn to lead active, healthy lifestyles.
Through the use of these free resources for Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors, Girl Scout volunteers and families can guide girls in fun, easy ways to achieve “energy balance.” This is some that is key for girls when beginning their Girl Scout journey.
- Between Earth and Sky with Healthy Habits
- WOW! Wonders of Water with Healthy Habits
- Get Moving! with Healthy Habits
TOGETHER COUNTS PROGRAM
The Together Counts program is nationwide and provided by the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation to inspire active and healthy living via physical activity and nutrition, a fundamental underpinning of efforts to reduce obesity. The principle behind the program is called Energy Balance, which just means balancing the calories we consume with the calories we expend.
- Energy In: the calories you get from eating and drinking.
- Energy Out: the calories you burn from physical activities.
Girl Scouting builds girls confidence, courage and character. I know this. It did all of this for me and more when I was in Scouting and to see the same thing happening with my daughter's makes me love Scouts even more.
Health and fitness have been part of Girl Scouting since girls ran foot races in 1912. In fact, this is something that we focus on in almost every meeting. We talk about the life choices the girls make every single day and we encourage them to constantly evaluate the decisions they make.
Girl Scouts Program is what girls do in Girl Scouting – and we sure do a lot! From patch programs to council-wide events, each council offers a variety of exciting program opportunities for girls of all ages. Girl Scouts gives girls life skills that
Volunteers will find it helpful to talk to their Girl Scout councils about handy resources including Volunteer Essentials—a guide for Girl Scout adults—and Girl Scouting 101, the online orientation.
JOIN THE TWITTER CHAT
Please join the Twitter chat on Sept. 9 with Girl Scouts Nation’s Capital and Together Counts.
INTERESTED IN GIRL SCOUTS?
To locate the council nearest you, see the Girl Scout Council Finder.